The Nigerian Army has faulted the claimed of Governor Babagana Zulum of Bornu State that, it was the Nigerian soldiers that attacked his convoy last week Wednesday in Baga, a town in Kukawa Local Government Area of the state.
Penpushing reports that, the Defence Headquarters in a reply by the Coordinator Media Operations,Major General John Enenche, said findings from the footage of the attack show that it was Boko Haram that attacked Mr Zulum’s convoy.
“It is an allegation which needed to be probed and also, I must say for such an allegation, it calls for worry on our part as the high command of which we went into action immediately, ”Enenche said
“We investigated it immediately and the strategic level is cleared of that; operational level cleared of that, tactical level, cleared of that. We analysed the video: you will discover from the sound of the gunshots, it is not the professional weapons that we use’.
“And of course, if you have operated with an enemy for some time, we call it enemy habit. From the analysis, it was purely that of the enemies, Boko Haram, in that area. From the tactics, and from the search conducted, it was the insurgents.
“So, our fears were allayed within 48 hours. It is not anything sabotage from the tactical, operational and strategic level, that is if you want to rate it from rank down to the person on the frontline.”
Penpushing further reports that earlier in his claimed Governor Zulum who survived an ambush by gunmen while on a trip to Monguno and Baga towns to distribute food to internally displaced persons (IDPs) accused the soldiers as being responsible for the attack.
“It is a complete sabotage… I cannot end my interview without clearly stating what happened yesterday. As far as I am concerned, there was no Boko Haram yesterday (Wednesday). It was a serious shooting by the Nigerian armed forces while ‘residing’ in Baga. The situation is very embarrassing,” the Governor had said.