Metro Plus

Nigerian Railway Corporation debunks online report of vandalization of Lagos-Ibadan rail track

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has refuted an online publication claiming that the Lagos-Ibadan Standard Gauge Line has been vandalised and not safe for usage, explaining that it was another rail line in the axis that was vandalised and not the standard gauge line.

Penpushing reports that the Managing Director of the corporation, Kayode Opeifa, in a statement signed by the Chief Public Relations Officer of the corporation, Callistus Unyimadu. made the clarification.

The statement pointed out that the management said it has noticed with concern on the said misleading report published online which claimed a section of the $1.5 billion Lagos-Ibadan Railway Project has been vandalized.

NEXGEN

“The management of NRC has observed with concern a report published on the internet, which claimed that vandals invaded a section of the $1.5 billion Lagos-Ibadan Railway Project. It stated that the vandals had stolen major components of the railway project inaugurated by late President Muhammadu Buhari in 2021’, he said.

Penpushing further reports that the management expressed appreciation the efforts of the media houses that published the story to draw attention to activities of economic saboteurs jeopardising smooth railway operations,

The Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, however, emphasised it was important to note that the referenced video was not recent adding that the incident did not occur on the Lagos-Ibadan Standard Gauge corridor.

Penpushing also reports that Opeifa explained that the incident took place between August 7, 2024 and August 27, 2024, on the old narrow-gauge line between Kilometre 170 (Omi-Adio) and Kilometre 240 (Erunmu) in Oyo State.

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) boss said that, the management internal communication dated August 7 2024, noted that the vandalised section involved the narrow-gauge line laid on concrete sleepers.

“Documented records showed that these acts were recorded twice in August (between Aug. 7 and Aug. 27, 2024) at Kilometre 218 (Erunmu, Ibadan) where 250 E-clips were vandalised, and at Kilometre 221 (Erunmu, Ibadan) where 16 short rails and one additional short rail were carted away’, the statement reads.

“Also, on Sept. 9, 2004, another 280 E-clips, including two poles, were stolen at Kilometre 219 (Erunmu, Ibadan). These incidents triggered immediate intervention by the corporation through community engagement involving the village head of Erunmu, the vigilante group and the police’, it added.

“Sensitisation campaigns were also organised at Agodi Gate, targeting scrap metal dealers, to curb the purchase of stolen railway materials, which are critical national assets’, Opeifa emphasized.

Penpushing reports that he disclosed   that following the actions, several suspects were arrested and handed over to the Railway Police Command in Lagos for further interrogation and prosecution, stressing that since then, no incident of vandalism had been reported on that axis.

“NRC management wish to, again, warn all those who have remained recalcitrant to refrain from vandalising train tracks or risk stiff prosecution as economic saboteurs if caught’, the statement said.

FOOTNOTE: You want to share story with us? You want to advertise with us? You need publicity for product, or service, or   event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348073463653 or email [email protected]

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button