Twenty-four members of a family in Danzanke village of Bargaja ward of Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State have died on Monday after eating some poisonous food, while attempt to save their lives proved abortive.
Penpushing reports that. the incident was caused by the use of a fertiliser type of chemical, popularly called ” Gishirin Lalle in Hausa” as seasoning in domestic family cooking which was considered as common salt.
The Commissioner for Health, Ali Inname,in a statement confirmed the sad incident on Tuesday, adding that only two female members of the family who ate the poisonous food alongside others managed to escape the calamity
”Regrettably, the entire family who ate the meal lost their lives, except two female members, who merely tasted the food and are currently responding to treatment, with very good chances of survival Attempts to save the lives of all the affected people by providing the needed medical care proved abortive’ Inname said.
Penpushing further reports that, the commissioner advised the public to learn from the unfortunate incident and keep away such poisonous chemicals from reach, stressing that residents should always be cautious to prevent reoccurrence in their families.
The commissioner emphasised that it was very important for the public to know that the incidence was preventable and not contagious, as it was extremely fatal, even with best medical attention given to victims.
Penpushing also reports that, he called on the people to ensure they always separate storage sites for food items from other agricultural and cosmetic items,stressing on need to carefully check all ingredients and food stuff before use.
The Health Commissioner pointed out that food stores should be secured to prevent access to flies, while cooked food and water sources should be secured, and encouraged residents to safeguard their surroundings to be clean and reduce flies and other vectors and wash hands regularly with soap and water.
”Wells should have covers to prevent contamination from faces of surface water after rainfall, the water should be boiled before use, especially in rural areas. Report to a health facility or isolation camp in your area early when you observe any unusual symptoms or unusual condition’, he emphasised.
FOOTNOTE: You want to share story with us? You want to advertise with us? You need publicity for product, or service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348073463653 or email [email protected]