A survivor of the military attack on protesters in Lekki area of Lagos State, Obianuju Catherine Udeh popularly called DJ Switch has disclosed that fifteen corpses of the youths allegedly shot dead by the Nigerian Army were taken away by them after the operations.
Penpushing reports that, the Nigerian artiste, made the disclosure while narrating her experience through her instagram page, adding that the soldiers turned the Tuesday peaceful protest to murder scene.
The artiste revealed that the armed soldiers and police officers shot at her and other peaceful protesters against police brutality, adding that at least 15 people were killed in the shootings and that she and other survivors took the victims’ bodies to the soldiers who took them away.
“Something I think about in hindsights that I wished we hadn’t done was that we carried dead bodies and dropped them at the feet of the soldiers, when I asked their wing commander why they are killing us. I wished we didn’t do that because they ended up throwing the bodies into their vans,” she said
Penpushing further reports that the lucky survivor in a video she posted on social media also displayed spent bullets she recovered from the scene of the shooting, adding that police came some 40-50 minutes after the soldiers left and teargassed.
‘‘Yes there were soldiers but the other part that people are not talking about is that SARS, the police also came some 40, 45 minutes after the soldiers left. We were teargassed, it’s like Cotonou pepper mixed with acid. People were running,we would run, we would come back.
‘The only thing we fought with was our flags. We sat on the floor waving our flags and singing the national anthem that was all we had. They turned off the street lights even if there is no power on a good day on that axis, there is always light on a good day, there was no light, the street lights were off, it was pitch black’.
‘A boy jumped on me and was shouting ‘‘cover her,cover her I didn’t even understand why he did that. They shot that boy on my back. I fell and while the soldiers were running around and trying to pick their shells, the soilers were also picking their shells, these are some of the shells we picked’.
‘Please I never said 78 died, when I was doing the live seven had died, after my phone died, we had 15, I don’t know if they were more than that but we had a lot of people with stray bullet wounds. I condemn the burning of buses, I’m definitely going to come back and be on the streets protesting peacefully. We must continue. If we stop, I fear it must be 60 years before we can. We need accountability that is at the heart of this matter. We must speak, do not give up’.
‘The military were there on Nigerian soil, killing Nigerian citizens, the SARS came aiming and shooting live bullets at us. Who takes live bullets to a protest? The leaders I urge to not insult the intelligence of Nigerians and their families’, she narrated
Penpushing also reports that, the military has so far denied shooting at the protesters, despite contrary evidence, and Governor Sanwo-Olu has only admitted that two people died from the shooting.
The governor has promised an investigation while President Muhammadu Buhari has kept mum about the Lekki shooting, while the Lagos State Governor has also denied authorizing the deployment of the soldiers.