The Labour Party (LP) senatorial candidate for Ebonyi South District, Linus Okorie, has been abducted by people suspected to be operatives of the Ebubeagu Security Network, while on his way to his residence in Abakaliki.
Penpushing reports that, the incident happened on Saturday, while the wife of the victim accused Governor Dave Umahi who will contesting the Senate seat against him, on completion of his tenure, of being responsible for the incident.
The staff of Linus Okorie CaringHeart Foundation, David Ogbonna, which is owned by the victim confirmed the incident claiming that the Ebubeagu operatives went after Okorie on the order of a local government chairman in the state.
“The available information confirms that he (Okorie) had been severely tortured to a near-death situation, made naked and pictures of him taken by his abductors. We’re believing that his abductors may have kept his half-dead body at Old Government House where the previous actions of the indicted militia group usually take place’, he said.
Penpushing further reports that, he said information at their disposal has it that, the motives of the abductors as at the time of filing this report, was to torture Okorie who is a former member of the House of Representatives to death and dump his body at Ebonyi River.
The staff of the foundation said there were reports that the Labour Party (LP) candidate’s aides and supporters would be hunted down, beginning from Monday and made to face similar situation the victim was undergoing.
Penpushing also reports that, the family called on the security agencies to swing into action and unravel this situation, to rescue the victim alive from his abductors and bring the perpetrators of the crime to face the law.
The abducted politician represented Ohaozara/Onicha/Ivo Federal Constituency under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) between 2011 and 2019, and later defected to Labour Party (LP) in August for his senatorial ambition ahead of 2023.
Penpushing reports that, in similar vein, the wife, Lilian, announced abduction of her husband in a live video on her Facebook page on Sunday, emphasisng that he was abducted by members of Ebubeagu Security Network, a South-east security outfit backed by Ebonyi State Government.
The disturbed wife, presently in United States of America (USA) for her master’s degree programme, lamented that her husband was not responding to her calls, claiming that she was contacted by members of the Ebubeagu operatives informing her they have abducted her husband.
Penpushing Further reports that, Commissioner for Information in the state, Uchenna Orji, was yet to make any statement in regards the incident as at the time of filing this report, while in his response to the allegation, Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Kenneth Ugbala, said those accusing the governor of being behind the abduction should write to the government.
‘If there is such a thing (allegation), the family should write officially to the Ebonyi State Government through my office. I can only respond to something I see as SSG. SSG does not respond to social media write-ups’, Ugbala declared.
Penpushing also reports that, the Ebonyin State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Chris Anyanwu, in response to the incident, as at the time he was contacted said the police would issue a statement on the incident.
FOOTNOTE: You want to share story with us? You want to advertise with us? You need publicity for product, or service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348073463653 or email [email protected]