International

Two Cameroonian journalists attacked while reporting on businessman praised by president

Two Cameroonian journalists Joseph Abena Abena and Augustin Ndongo of Equinoxe Television have been allegedly attacked while they were reporting in a village in Cameroon’s South Region on February 13, 2025.

Penpushing reports that the National Union of Journalists of Cameroon made this known in a statement explaining that the journalists were attacked when they entered the facility, just as Committee to Protect Journalists called on the Cameroonian authorities to investigate and hold accountable those responsible for the attack

The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ’s) Francophone Africa representative Moussa Ngom pointed out that the attack on the two journalists was another expression of the sense of impunity for those who intimidate and threaten journalists in Cameroon

NNPC

‘The attack on Joseph Abena Abena and Augustin Ndongo is yet another expression of the sense of impunity for those who intimidate and threaten journalists in Cameroon. Cameroonian authorities must investigate and hold accountable the assailants and ensure a safe working environment for journalists’, Ngom stated

Penpushing further reports that the duo were attacked when they went to investigate an agricultural facility owned by Samuel Tony Obam Bikoué, a controversial figure praised by President Paul Biya three days earlier for helping to create an agricultural industry, but whose involvement in the banana plantation sector has been criticised by a local prefect.

The statement added that when the journalists entered the facility, one of the attackers asked Abena why he wanted to harm Bikoué’s business rather than investigating other officials’ interests.

Penpushing also reports that Abena said that the assailants, some armed with clubs, snatched Ndongo’s camera, confiscated their phones, and forced them to sit on the ground while making lynching and death threats,

The journalists told Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) that they had earlier identified themselves as a journalists and presented their press cards, adding that one of the attackers threatened to kill them.

Penpushing reports Abena said following intervention by a local official they were released, adding that their computer was damaged while one of the attackers took the memory card from the damaged camera.

Meanwhile, as at the time of filing this report the messages sent by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) CPJ’s to Director of the Media Observatory at Cameroon’s Ministry of Communication, Bikoué and Denis Omgba Bomba was unanswered

FOOTNOTE: You want to share story with us? You want to advertise with us? You need publicity for product, or service, or   event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348073463653 or email penpushing@yahoo.com

 

 

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button