“The troops along with their Nigerian Navy counterparts put up a very determined fight to repel the attack throughout the night, while Sector 3 Operation LAFIYA DOLE sent in reinforcement who are in hot pursuit of the terrorists.
“Similarly, a Search and Rescue team has been constituted. The Nigerian Air Force component has also been mobilised and are engaging the fleeing terrorists. Unfortunately, naval personnel were killed in action’, he stated.
“So far, no further details of casualties yet as efforts are ongoing to clear the terrorists hiding in Baga and environs. We enjoin all to remain calm as the troops conduct clearance and mop up operations. We implore members of the general public to disregard any contrary information circulating on the attack. We will keep you posted with development on the pursuit and mop up operations”, the statement said
Penpushing, however, gathered from a reliable security sources at the frontline that the situation was more dire than the army made it to look, adding that the insurgents were able to carry out the attack on Baga which is the headquarters of the 7 Brigade of the Nigerian Army and the MNJTF, despite that there was information it will happen.
The source also added that the fighting lasted throughout the night until the troops were eventually dislodged, adding that, ’available reports revealed that Boko Haram have dislodged Nigerian troops from Baga,”
The source said. “There is no official confirmation on whether the troops have retaken Baga as no reinforcement has been able to reach Baga as at midday Thursday. The first reinforcement stopped halfway at Cross Kauwa; they have not been able to reach Baga town’.