FIRE GUTS WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION VACCINATION STORAGE FACILITY IN OSOGBO
Hear him, “The fire started at about 12:13 p.m. from one of the power generator that was on to power the building where vaccines were stored. We quickly move to remove the cars parked close to the fire and mobilised to put out the fire. But unfortunately, my motorcycle parked closed to the storage facility was, however, burnt by the fire while helping to remove the cars,”.
The Immunization officer of the World Health Organisation (WHO), who double as Cold Vaccine Coordinator in Osun State, Adebola Adeosun stated that the cold vaccine storage office was not affected by the fire, adding that the dry vaccine outlet was razed by fire.
Penpushing further reports that, Adeosun disclosed that a 60KVA generator, one 12KVA generator and two 18 KVA generators were also affected, as well as two photocopier machines and two motorcycles were also destroyed by the fire.
“161,795 pieces of 0.05ml needles and syringe , 633,871 pieces of 0.5ml needles and syringe, 10,575 pieces of 5ml needles and syringe, 3,976 pieces of 2ml needles and syringe were destroyed by the fire. 8,654 pieces of immunisation safety boxes were also destroyed by the fire,” Adeosun said.
Penpushing also reports that, Adeosun said as at the time of filing this report the State Government officials and World Health Organisation(WHO) officials had visited the incident site to assess the level of damage done by the fire.