Suspected Boko Haram terrorists have been linked to the attack of the Kuje Correctional Centre in Abuja where about 600 inmates which include detained Boko Haram members were set free on Tuesday evening.
Penpushing reports that the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Interior, Mr Shuaibu Belgore made this known during a visit to the facility, adding that one person died and three others were injured during the attack.
The Permanent Secretary said the mission of the attackers was to rescue their co-conspirators, adding that aftermath of the attack over 300 of the inmates have been retrieved and more are on the way, stressing that the facility houses 994 inmates.
Penpushing further reports that, it is recalled that on Tuesday evening, there was pandemonium among residents of the Kuje prison area in Abuja after explosions and gunshots were heard from the direction of the correctional centre.
The Public Relations Officer of the Nigerian Correctional Service, AD Umar, confirmed the ugly incident, adding that as at the time of filing this report normalcy had been restored after security agencies intervened.
“I wish to confirm that about 2200hrs, some yet-to-be-identified gunmen attacked the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje in the Federal Capital Territory. However, men of the Armed Squad of the Nigerian Correctional Service and other security agencies attached to the Custodial centre have responded and calm has been restored to the facility and the situation is under control”,Umar said
FOOTNOTE: You want to share story with us? You want to advertise with us? You need publicity for product, or service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348073463653 or email [email protected]